Saturday, March 9, 2013

The adult sippy cup...

Well, I've made that seemingly inevitable right of passage that so many successful dieters seem to make at one time or another:  I'm drinking water - lots of water, ounces and ounces and ounces of water per day.  Holy pee, Batman.

So now I'm carrying this with me nearly everywhere I go:


It's like my own 32 oz. adult sippy cup.  I ordered it from Amazon about 2 weeks ago for less than $10 shipped.  My wife gave me the eye roll when it arrived, much like the one she gave me when I ordered my kettlebell.  I will say though, the eye roll was deserved.  I'm notoriously bad for trying to start on a "water kick", getting my special bottle/container/whatever, and then 5 weeks later it's sitting in the back seat of my car, half-filled with tepid tap water while I'm sucking down my 5th diet Pepsi of the day.

It's somewhat of an ironic twist that I now have my own sippy cup, because I was kind of anti-sippy cup when my kids were little.  I wouldn't say I was completely anti-sippy cup, I just don't get this constant obsession we seem to have of making sure that a kid is carrying around a container of liquid to drink from every waking minute.

Here's my crotchety old man take on the issue:  when I was a kid, we had this great system.  We would have cups next to the bathroom and kitchen faucets.  When you got thirsty, you made a trip to the faucet of your choice, filled the cup with water, and drank the water (repeat as needed).  I grew up in the country, so we also had a back-up system in case the faucet method should fail, called a hose.

In some of my more pessimistic moments, I sometimes think if I were to write a parenting book (and this is probably evidence that I should definitely not), the title would be:  "There's Water in the F#cking Faucet".

Anyway, the whole water thing was started in an attempt to get myself off the copious amounts of diet Pepsi I was drinking each day.  It was a lot, a real lot.  Here's the number (wait for it...):  8 cans a day.  And that's at least 8 cans a day, some days even more.  Just under a gallon of diet Pepsi every day.  Ugh.

I'm surprised at how much I don't miss it.  I was planning on allowing myself 2 cans a day - one in the morning and one at dinner.  But the 2 cans turned in to just one in the morning, which turned into "meh, I guess I don't feel like one right now".

Good progress this week - I'm down 2 lbs and another inch around my waist.  Even though the 2 lbs is a slower pace than my previous pace of 3 lbs/week, I had only been losing a quarter to a half inch around my waist each week until this one.  I'll take inches over pounds any day.

7 comments:

  1. "Holy pee, Batman." <--- LOL! I totally get this. Your blog is fabulous. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much - I look forward to following yours as well. It looks like you're making great progress. I also might have to bother you for some of those recipes!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for following. :) About the recipes, at the top of my page is a tab titled "Recipes." If you click on the name of a recipe on that page, it will link you to the site where the recipe is posted. (Sometimes the link is internal because it's a recipe I modified or created.)

      Delete
  2. I would definitely buy the parenting book :), ANNNNNNNND give it to all my friends at their baby showers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog. I gave up soda a while back and it's amazing the change that can bring. Hold on to that sippy cup!

    Keep up the good work! I've been there and even once you get tot the end, it's just keeps going. But oh so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks much for the comments Carol and Dan. It certainly feels like a long road at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I did a "liquid" diet (not 100% but a lot) and I really noticed how important it was because I am not on it anymore. First, my liver enzymes fell like a rock and returned to normal on the liquid diet. Then I saw a ton of good things. My hair was thicker and seemed to grow more. And, I rarely had dry skin. I have now come to an alternate conclusion about how water helps you lose weight -- the liver! The liver is a powerhouse fat burning organ. And hydration really helps with detox. I struggle to get enough water now that I don't get it in my food. But I can see my hair being more like straw and dry patches.

    ReplyDelete