Sunday, May 12, 2013

The only easy day was yesterday...

Well, it's official, I've signed my daughter and I up for the color run.  I was going to wait a few weeks just to make sure that I don't "wash out" of the CT5K program, but I saw that some of the runs in some cities were selling out, so in a moment of insanity I signed us up.

I guess I'm not as worried as I was about washing out.  Some type of injury is what worries me the most.  I'm a little concerned that I started doing this thing while I'm still too heavy, and that's going to put too much stress on my knees and ankles over the next eight weeks.  So far so good, though.  Also, I'm losing at a good rate (down another 4 lbs this week), so the downward trend in weight can only help.

I'm not as worried about the endurance factor of getting through the program, but I've got to admit, this running shit is tough for me.  We've just finished week two, which was alternating between 90 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking.  Week three incorporates intervals of three minutes of jogging.  Oh the humanity.  The three minutes should be doable, though.  During the running intervals today, I thought to myself "Would I be able to keep going for another 90 seconds?", and I'm pretty sure the answer was yes.  It will be tough, but not impossible.

I'm still not close to saying that I "love running", or even like it.  However, my attitude is changing ever so slowly.  I guess you could say that I've moved from "Holy shit does this fucking suck" to "meh".  Each run has sucked a little less than the previous run.

I don't want to misrepresent things here, there are some things I really do like about this whole endeavor so far, such as:
  • Exercising outside is pretty cool.   Fresh air, nice weather - it definitely beats staring at a wall for 30 minutes on the elliptical.  Now, if actual running felt like "running" on the elliptical, that would really be something.
  • I really like having the 5K out there as the ultimate goal.  Goals like losing a certain amount of weight, fitting into this shirt or those pants are fine, but this feels like (I won't say "better"), but different.
  • I absolutely love doing this with my daughter, it's become something really cool for us to share.
So, onward and upward!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment