Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Let's do this...


Hello world.  I’m starting this blog as a sort of “self therapy”.  I’m not sure if anyone else will ever see or read it, but who knows.

2 weeks ago I started a (yet another) weight loss/fitness/quest to be significantly less fat journey.  I made that dreaded trip to the bathroom scale, and let out a resigned sigh as I looked at the number that stared back at me – 303.  Not quite the ideal weight for a 5’5” 43 year old man.

If you’re reading this, you most likely have started journeys like this in the past as well.  Perhaps even as many times as I have, (it appears I’m going for some sort of record).  Some of those journeys even led to temporary success, but never lasting success.

I’ve tried many of the fads – Slim Fast, low calorie, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach to name a few, but this time I feel that I need this attempt to be “my” plan if it is going to work.  And not even a plan for that matter, a lifestyle.  “Plan” makes me think temporary, “lifestyle” feels more enduring.

Anyway here’s what I’m starting with as my mantra:  move more, eat less.  Specifics you say?  All right: calorie intake at least 1600 but not more than 2000 per day, avoid enriched flour and sugar (what I call “bad carbs”) as much as possible, 30 minutes of cardio every 3 out of 4 days.

That’s it (for now).  The plan, wait – lifestyle, is definitely a work in progress.  There’s definitely room for improvement and more specifics, and that’s kind of by design.

I’m going to make about a post each week not only detailing my progress, but to wax a little bit philosophic about weight loss, fitness, and what everyday life can be like for us 300 pounders.  If you’d like to follow along, maybe we can lend each other that always comforting mutual support.

Oh yeah – the good news:  I’m down 12 lbs over the last 2 weeks, but you know how those early pounds are sometimes more than happy to jump ship (this ain’t my first rodeo).  See you in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment