Sunday, April 21, 2013

The seating dilemma...

In one of my earlier posts, I wrote about the hate-hate relationship I have with restaurant booths.  Now, by no means have I tamed that dragon.  However, with a 4 lb loss this week, along with another 1/2" off my waist (which brings the running total to 45 lbs and 6.5 inches lost), this has made a noticeable impact on how I fit in a restaurant booth.  Of the few booths I've recently attempted to slide into (while thinking "pleasefitpleasefitpleasefit"), I've gotten in with relative ease.  Not only do I not hurt while sitting there because the table isn't pushing into my diaphragm, but there is actually (a little) space between the table and my stomach.

Restaurants can still be a bitch, even without a booth.  If we are at a table, I still usually have my chair pushed back way too far from the table so I feel I have enough room, which leads to waitstaff and customers bumping into you as they try to walk behind you to navigate through the tables.  And if someone is seated directly behind me, our chairs often bump into each other when one of us decides to get up from the table.  I always try to make sure I get a seat with my back facing a wall or a non-traffic area, a corner is the best.  Then again, no one puts baby in the corner (sorry - that was uncalled for).

Ugh...I can't fucking wait for this seating dilemma thing to start working out, though.  In nearly every public seating situation I can think of in recent memory, be it a movie theater,

baseball game,
airplane,
pretty much you name it - anything, I've got basically one move that allows me to not make the person next to me miserable and encroach on their space.  And that is to sit perfectly still with my arms crossed in front of my chest until the really really fun time we are all having is over.

I think it mostly has to do with (other than the obvious fact that I'm too fat) what I'm going to call "Tyrannosaurus Rex Tiny Arm Syndrome", or TRTAS (pronounced tert-ass).


Relative to my overall girth, my arms are fairly short, couple this with the fact that I basically have no lap, means I've got nowhere to put them unless I'm in a chair with nice big (non-shared) armrests, so all I can do is fold them in front of myself.

Anyway, it'll be nice to someday sit comfortably in seating designed for the average sized person.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete